"Eight and a half" and "nine syndrome" rare presentation of pontine lesions; case reports and review of literature
Background: Eight-and-a-half syndrome (EHS) is one-and-a-half syndrome [(conjugated horizontal gaze palsy and internuclear ophthalmoplegia (INO)] plus ipsilateral fascicular seventh cranial nerve palsy. Involvement of lower pontine tegmentum including the abducens nucleus, the ipsilateral medial longitudinal fasciculus (MLF), and the adjacent facial colliculus contribute to the clinical findings of EHS. Recently, nine syndrome with addition of hemiparesis or hemianesthesia to EHS (due to involvement of adjacent corticospinal tract or medial lemniscus) is suggested.
Methods: Consecutive patients with presentation of EHS or nine syndrome were reviewed from referral neuro-ophthalmology and strabismus clinics.
Results: Three cases of EHS were identified with different etiologies of intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), demyelination, and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder. Moreover, one case of "nine syndrome" due to ICH was described. Brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in all of them revealed lesion in lower tegmentum of pons.
Conclusion: Apart from different etiologies, recognition of EHS or nine syndrome allows precise localization of the lesion to lower pontine tegmentum ipsilaterally.
2. Mahale RR, Mehta A, John AA, Javali M, Abbas MM, Rangasetty S. "Nine" syndrome: A new neuro-ophthalmologic syndrome: Report of two cases. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2015; 18(3): 335-7.
3. van Torn R, Schoeman JF, Donald PR. Brainstem tuberculoma presenting as eight-and-a-half syndrome. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2006; 10(1): 41-4.
4. Eggenberger E. Eight-and-a-half syndrome: One-and-a-half syndrome plus cranial nerve VII palsy. J Neuroophthalmol 1998; 18(2): 114-6.
5. Skaat A, Huna-Baron R. Eight-and-a-half syndrome: A rare pontine neuro-ophthalmologic syndrome. Arch Neurol 2012; 69(7): 934-5.
6. Mortzos P, Nordling MM, Sorensen TL. Eight-and-a-half syndrome as presenting sign of childhood multiple sclerosis. J AAPOS 2014; 18(5): 490-2.
7. Wanono R, Daelman L, Maarouf A, Caucheteux N, Chaunu MP, Tourbah A. Eight and a half plus syndrome as a first presentation of multiple sclerosis. Rev Neurol (Paris) 2014; 170(8-9): 553-4.