Prevalence of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis and its related factors: Systematic review and meta-analysis
Background: Dysphagia is the most prevalent sign of multiple sclerosis (MS) which can reduce the quality of life and augment mortality in the final stages of MS. We presented a systematic review to estimate the prevalence of dysphagia in general and separately for each evaluation method (subjective and objective), and to analyze the causes of this rampant disease.
Methods: Cross-sectional and prospective cohort studies were reviewed and scientific proofs were evaluated consistent with the pre-specified levels
Results: Twenty-two articles entered the meta-analysis phase; the estimation of the general prevalence of dysphagia in MS-affected patients was 43.33% related to all the 22 studies. Moreover, the estimate of the prevalence via the subjective (16 studies) and objective (6 studies) methods were 37.21% and 58.47%, respectively.
Conclusion: This study obtained the prevalence rate of dysphagia in patients affected by MS globally, yet there was infinite statistical society and limited methodological quality. Thus, more extensive studies are required for a better understanding of the global epidemiology regarding dysphagia in MS.
2. Baixinho CL, Mertens J, Duarte AF, Teixeira FM, Quental IA, Martins SS. Nursing interventions promoting functionality among adults with multiple sclerosis: Integrative review. J Nurs UFPE on line 2016; 10(Suppl. 2): 838-47.
3. Butcher L. MS: Prevalence, economics, and the pipeline. Biotechnol Healthc 2008; 5(3): 6-7.
4. Solaro C, Rezzani C, Trabucco E, Amato MP, Zipoli V, Portaccio E, et al. Prevalence of patient-reported dysphagia in multiple sclerosis patients: An Italian multicenter study (using the DYMUS questionnaire). J Neurol Sci 2013; 331(1-2): 94-7.
5. Guan XL, Wang H, Huang HS, Meng L. Prevalence of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurol Sci 2015; 36(5): 671-81.
6. Poorjavad M, Derakhshandeh F, Etemadifar M, Soleymani B, Minagar A, Maghzi AH. Oropharyngeal dysphagia in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2010; 16(3): 362-5.
7. Sales DS, Alvarenga RM, Vasconcelos CC, Silva RG, Thuler LC. Translation, cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Portuguese version of the DYMUS questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis. Springerplus 2013; 2: 332.
8. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. PLoS Med 2009; 6(7): e1000097.
9. Shibasaki H, McDonald WI, Kuroiwa Y. Racial modification of clinical picture of multiple sclerosis: Comparison between British and Japanese patients. J Neurol Sci 1981; 49(2): 253-71.
10. Hartelius L, Svensson P. Speech and swallowing symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis: A survey. Folia Phoniatr Logop 1994; 46(1): 9-17.
11. Abraham S, Scheinberg LC, Smith CR, LaRocca CR. Neurologic impairment and disability status in outpatients with multiple sclerosis reporting dysphagia symptomatology. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 1997; 11(1): 7-13.
12. Thomas FJ, Wiles CM. Dysphagia and nutritional status in multiple sclerosis. J Neurol 1999; 246(8): 677-82.
13. De Pauw A., Dejaeger E, D'hooghe B, Carton H. Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2002; 104(4): 345-51.
14. Bergamaschi R, Crivelli P, Rezzani C, Patti F, Solaro C, Rossi P, et al. The DYMUS questionnaire for the assessment of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Sci 2008; 269(1-2): 49-53.
15. Lasemi E, Sahraian MA, Kalantar Motamedi MH, Valayi N, Moradi N, Lasemi R. Prevalence of oral and maxillofacial manifestations in patients with multiple sclerosis. Res Dent Sci 2011; 8(1): 20-6.
16. Levinthal DJ, Rahman A, Nusrat S, O'Leary M, Heyman R, Bielefeldt K. Adding to the burden: Gastrointestinal symptoms and syndromes in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler Int 2013; 2013: 319201.
17. Alfonsi E, Bergamaschi R, Cosentino G, Ponzio M, Montomoli C, Restivo DA, et al. Electrophysiological patterns of oropharyngeal swallowing in multiple sclerosis. Clin Neurophysiol 2013; 124(8): 1638-45.
18. Danesh-Sani SA, Rahimdoost A, Soltani M, Ghiyasi M, Haghdoost N, Sabzali-Zanjankhah S. Clinical assessment of orofacial manifestations in 500 patients with multiple sclerosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013; 71(2): 290-4.
19. Chauvet G, Fernandez B, Camdessanche JP, Giraux P. Screening and typology of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis. Ann Phys Rehabil Med 2013; 56(S1): e354.
20. Goncalves MLL, Franca CM, Fragoso YD, Deana AM, de Almeida LM, Bussadori SK. Orofacial evaluation in patients with multiple sclerosis using Nordic Orofacial Test-Screening. Clin Oral Investig 2017; 21(5): 1681-5.
21. Pajouh SD, Moradi N, Shaterzadeh Yazdi MJ, Latifi SM, Mehravar M, Majdinasab N, et al. Diagnostic evaluation of dysphagia in multiple sclerosis patients using a Persian version of DYMUS questionnaire. Mult Scler Relat Disord 2017; 17: 240-3.
22. Wiesner W, Wetzel SG, Kappos L, Hoshi MM, Witte U, Radue EW, et al. Swallowing abnormalities in multiple sclerosis: Correlation between videofluoroscopy and subjective symptoms. Eur Radiol 2002; 12(4): 789-92.
23. Calcagno P, Ruoppolo G, Grasso MG, De Vincentiis M, Paolucci S. Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis-prevalence and prognostic factors. Acta Neurol Scand 2002; 105(1): 40-3.
24. Terre-Boliart R, Orient-Lopez F, Guevara-Espinosa D, Ramon-Rona S, Bernabeu-Guitart M, Clave-Civit P. Oropharyngeal dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis. Rev Neurol 2004; 39(8): 707-10.
25. Fernandes AM, Duprat AC, Eckley CA, Silva L, Ferreira RB, Tilbery CP. Oropharyngeal dysphagia in patients with multiple sclerosis: Do the disease classification scales reflect dysphagia severity? Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2013; 79(4): 460-5.
26. Beckmann Y, Gurgor N, Cakir A, Arici S, Incesu TK, Secil Y, et al. Electrophysiological evaluation of dysphagia in the mild or moderate patients with multiple sclerosis: A concept of subclinical dysphagia. Dysphagia 2015; 30(3): 296-303.
27. Herrera W, Zeligman BE, Gruber J, Jones MC, Pautler R, Wriston R, et al. Dysphagia in multiple sclerosis: Clinical and video-uoro-scopic correlations. J Neurol Rehabil 1990; 4: 1-8.